Aw, I got tagged! I feel special. My answers are in the extended entry. We’re all weirdos…
The holidays are a time for giving and receiving, and I’ve done a little of both this week. I made a scarf for my friend Roxanne:
The Purl Scarf, Pattern from Last Minute Knitted Gifts.
Here’s a close up of the yarny goodness:
Manos + Silky Wool + Kidsilk Haze = yummy.
I was happy with the result. I think I might have to make one for myself!
Then. I received this from a dear sweet friend:
It’s Maggie. Hot damn.
This yarn is so yummy to knit with…I’m about 1/3 done with a sleeve. Lovelovelove.
And. I may have randomly started some colorwork. Now. I’ve never really done much before, but I decided to throw caution to the wind and just knit these Endpaper Mitts. They’re cute, right? Here’s what I learned about Fair Isle:
1. It’s tricksy.
2. I am crappy at holding yarn in my left hand.
3. It makes a difference which yarn you pull from underneath (see yarn dominance)
4. However impressed you are with your own First Fair Isle knitting, your fiance/spouse/partner/friend will not be as impressed. Even if you show them twice.
5. It’s addictive.
Number 5 would be why I went from this:
A little bit of a mitt.
One mitt finished. I even wove in my ends.
…in a very short amount of time. There are many issues with My First Colorwork, including gauge, some weirdness where the rounds meet, yarn choice (hello, Cotton Fine?) and my complete lack of ability to do a Turkish cast on/ cast off. But ya know what? I love my Endpaper Mitt sooooo much. I’ve already cast on for Mitt 2, and after this pair, I might try my hand at some more colorwork. So. Fun.
By the way, that picture is purposely dim and moody so you can’t see all my mistakes. And the bags under my eyes are NOT from a week of non-stop partying, as it may appear. I just drove to North Carolina and back to pick up my dad for the holidays, so I’m a little tired. I almost Photoshopped the bags out, but I figured you’d still love me with bags under my eyes. Right?
Meme answers in the extended entry if you like…
THE RULES:Each player of this game starts with the ‘6 weird things about you.’ People who get tagged need to write a blog post of their own 6 weird things as well as state this rule clearly. In the end, you need to choose 6 people to be tagged and list their names. Don’t forget to leave a comment that says ‘you are tagged’ in their comments and tell them to read your blog…
1. I smell my hand all the time without realizing it. I started doing this after seeing my twin sister do it years ago. I usually realize I’m doing it when someone gives me a weird look, or one of my friends says “Does it smell good?”
2. My twin sister and I were both born without one permanent front tooth. It’s the same tooth on opposite sides (so, if we’re facing each other, it’s the same tooth). We have other mirrored things too – I’m left handed, she’s right handed, and we each have one bad eye (opposite sides).
3. I was an unexpected child. My parents were expecting a 10-pound boy. My sister Cathy was born, and then five minutes later, when they thought they were done, I was born. Oops – two five-pound girls!
4. I always, always have to walk on the left side when I’m walking with someone.
5. I have freakishly small hands. (Jacob offered this one up.) People always exclaim upon first seeing/holding my hand: “OMG! I feel like I might BREAK IT!”
6. I don’t drink any carbonated beverages, ever. They have always burned my tongue. To this day I’ve never tasted Pepsi, 7-Up, Sprite…I’ve only tasted Coke once or twice by accident and ginger ale for the first time last week.
If you haven’t done this yet and you want to, consider yourself tagged. YOU’RE IT.