Give and Receive.

Aw, I got tagged! I feel special. My answers are in the extended entry. We’re all weirdos…
The holidays are a time for giving and receiving, and I’ve done a little of both this week. I made a scarf for my friend Roxanne:

purlscarf.jpg
The Purl Scarf, Pattern from Last Minute Knitted Gifts.

Here’s a close up of the yarny goodness:

softy.jpg
Manos + Silky Wool + Kidsilk Haze = yummy.

I was happy with the result. I think I might have to make one for myself!
Then. I received this from a dear sweet friend:

kim.jpg
It’s Maggie. Hot damn.

This yarn is so yummy to knit with…I’m about 1/3 done with a sleeve. Lovelovelove.
And. I may have randomly started some colorwork. Now. I’ve never really done much before, but I decided to throw caution to the wind and just knit these Endpaper Mitts. They’re cute, right? Here’s what I learned about Fair Isle:
1. It’s tricksy.
2. I am crappy at holding yarn in my left hand.
3. It makes a difference which yarn you pull from underneath (see yarn dominance)
4. However impressed you are with your own First Fair Isle knitting, your fiance/spouse/partner/friend will not be as impressed. Even if you show them twice.
5. It’s addictive.
Number 5 would be why I went from this:

littlebit.jpg
A little bit of a mitt.

to this:

doneone.jpg
One mitt finished. I even wove in my ends.

…in a very short amount of time. There are many issues with My First Colorwork, including gauge, some weirdness where the rounds meet, yarn choice (hello, Cotton Fine?) and my complete lack of ability to do a Turkish cast on/ cast off. But ya know what? I love my Endpaper Mitt sooooo much. I’ve already cast on for Mitt 2, and after this pair, I might try my hand at some more colorwork. So. Fun.
By the way, that picture is purposely dim and moody so you can’t see all my mistakes. And the bags under my eyes are NOT from a week of non-stop partying, as it may appear. I just drove to North Carolina and back to pick up my dad for the holidays, so I’m a little tired. I almost Photoshopped the bags out, but I figured you’d still love me with bags under my eyes. Right?
Meme answers in the extended entry if you like…

THE RULES:Each player of this game starts with the ‘6 weird things about you.’ People who get tagged need to write a blog post of their own 6 weird things as well as state this rule clearly. In the end, you need to choose 6 people to be tagged and list their names. Don’t forget to leave a comment that says ‘you are tagged’ in their comments and tell them to read your blog…
1. I smell my hand all the time without realizing it. I started doing this after seeing my twin sister do it years ago. I usually realize I’m doing it when someone gives me a weird look, or one of my friends says “Does it smell good?”
2. My twin sister and I were both born without one permanent front tooth. It’s the same tooth on opposite sides (so, if we’re facing each other, it’s the same tooth). We have other mirrored things too – I’m left handed, she’s right handed, and we each have one bad eye (opposite sides).
3. I was an unexpected child. My parents were expecting a 10-pound boy. My sister Cathy was born, and then five minutes later, when they thought they were done, I was born. Oops – two five-pound girls!
4. I always, always have to walk on the left side when I’m walking with someone.
5. I have freakishly small hands. (Jacob offered this one up.) People always exclaim upon first seeing/holding my hand: “OMG! I feel like I might BREAK IT!”
6. I don’t drink any carbonated beverages, ever. They have always burned my tongue. To this day I’ve never tasted Pepsi, 7-Up, Sprite…I’ve only tasted Coke once or twice by accident and ginger ale for the first time last week.
If you haven’t done this yet and you want to, consider yourself tagged. YOU’RE IT.

Comments

1. says

Stranded colorwork is an acquired skill and you are well on your way. Thanks for sharing the bags (I suspect the lighting is the biggest culprit, not your skin!)
    Good luck with the second mitt.

2. says

Love your Endpaper mitts! I am so doing some of Eunnie’s mittens after the holidays.
    Colorwork IS addicting, isn’t it?
    After the holidays, you must give us a tutorial in this photoshopping out of “eye bags”! Then maybe I wouldn’t have to resort to the “head cut off” shot when I model FOs! LOL!

3. Cathy says

I was smelling my hand when I was reading your post, until I read that. Oops.
    Your mitt looks great! Unbelievable! The skill! (I am trying to be appropriately impressed..)

4. says

Cathy, you just totally made my day, I’ll be laughing about that for hours. Also, now that I’ve read this I have an overwhelming urge to smell my hand.

5. says

wow, interesting twin info about you and your sister. i can’t imagine giving birth and thinking i was only going to have one baby and out popped two! your mom must have nearly had a heart attack!
    the endpaper mitt is lovely and it’s your first time! i’m dying to try the colorwork too (as you know) so i’m going to give it a go with some swatching this weekend.
    merry christmas!

6. says

I saw my name and thought, oh, is that wonderful scarf for me? Tee hee! Just kidding. Nice to know there’s another Roxanne out there!

7. says

I just started Eunny’s Anemoi mittens, and, like you, I am so addicted! Thanks for the link about yarn dominance: I was holding my yarns wrong. Oopsie.

8. says

Your mitt looks awesome and I’m sure the second will be even better (practice, and all). Nice work. Can you still smell your hand while wearing it?

9. says

Those Endpapers look great! Scarf too! I think color work is super addicting. I only want to do it around Christmas though. Must be short and dark days.

10. says

Why is Carrieoke knitting Maggie?
    Carrie should knit Carrie.
    Okay. That was just a little lame.
    I saw Ashley’s mitts. They’re amazing! Also, that scarf is bulky-licious!

11. says

Bags? what bags?
    love the gloves/mitts, the color work will get better with practice, trust me, I felt like I was knitting with two left feet at first, but now I fly!

12. says

That’s some beautiful colorwork.
    I feel very much the same about my first shawl. It was made very early in my knitting, and despite the mistakes and bits of ends peaking out, I love it to bits.

13. says

The scarf is really lovely, the rowen looks really lovely, and the mitten looks really lovely! Damn, I’m going to catch this colorwork thing soon aren’t I?

14. says

I luuurv your mitt. I’ve got to dive into the colorwork pool soon- there’s a hat in the wings. Also, that color of Wool Cotton? Takes my breath away! Can’t wait to see it…AFTER Forecast, right? (Is this getting old?)

15. says

you’re right, love you with or without bags (what you’re sporting in that picture is really up to interpretation on the bag scale! i can barely notice them!). :) and your new endpaper looks awesome! i’m so jealous! i bought yarn supposedly for the mittens but i kinda think maybe i want to make the endpapers instead! :) hope you are having a great christmas dude. i just got back from xmas eve dinner at my coworkers and i’m so full i don’t think i can make it to church tonight!!! :)

16. says

Aren’t those Purl scarves great? So pretty. And way to go with the mitt! I’m doing them too, they are so addictive.
    Hope you’re having a Merry Christmas too!

17. says

Merry Christmas! Good for you for throwing caution to the wind on the colorwork, it is fun! And I can’t wait to see you work up Maggie!