Our friends, Meredith and Bryan, are about to have their second baby. We met Meredith and Bryan because their daughter is super great friends with Charlie (and they saw each other one night out at a pizza place. Charlie was like, oh that’s my friend from school! and then we ended up all sitting together.) It’s so fun to have playdates with them because we all get to hang out too.
So a new baby means a new quilt! I used a pattern I’d never tried before – Storytime Squares by made-by-rae. My sister made an adorable version for one of her mama friends last year and it totally inspired me to try the pattern. I used 4.5 inch squares instead of 5 inch squares because that’s what I had already cut, so I had to adjust the sashing some, and then it turned out a little smaller than I wanted, so I added an extra border on the outside. I probably could have quilted it a bit more – I really liked how the quilting looked after doing just a 1/4 inch around the big blocks and extra lines in the sashing, so I stopped there. I am really happy with how it turned out!
I knew that they were doing robots and monsters in their nursery, so I found a cute monsters flannel at Joann’s and used that for the back. Of course I forgot to take a picture 😉 There are also a few flannel blocks in there on the front. It turned out around 41 x 41 inches.
I didn’t want to leave big sister out, so I made a little something for her too. My friend Mary-Heather pointed out this adorable pattern for a doll, Elsa, by Wee Wonderfuls, and I thought it would be perfect for her because she loves princesses and pink and purple. It was really fun to make and actually pretty quick – the hard part is the finishing touches, like the face and the hair. The pattern calls for felt eyes but I can never get them cut out quite right – I bet if I used better felt I could! So I embroidered a simple face. I feel like the face can make or break a softie like this – it is so easy to make the face accidentally weird or scary. Ha. Hopefully this doll’s face is just cute 😉
I followed the pattern directions to make the hair, and then braided it and tacked it down over where the doll’s ears would be. This made the braids hang really nicely. Her skirt is removable, and I can totally see making fun little dresses for a doll like this too. Big sister was very excited about her doll and decided that her name would be Flutterberry.
Hooray for friends and new babies and siblings!